Saturday, March 26, 2011

Paul Simon & Art Garfunkel - America


         
Let us be lovers we'll marry our fortunes together
I've got some real estate here in my bag 
So we bought a pack of cigarettes 
and Mrs. Wagner pies 
And we walked off to look for America 

Kathy, I said as we boarded 
a Greyhound in Pittsburgh 
Michigan seems like a dream to me now 
It took me four days 
to hitchhike from Saginaw 
I've gone to look for America 

Laughing on the bus 
Playing games with the faces 
She said the man 
in the gabardine suit was a spy 
I said, Be careful 
his bowtie is really a camera 

Toss me a cigarette, 
I think there's one in my raincoat
We smoked the last one an hour ago 
So I looked at the scenery, 
she read her magazine 
And the moon rose over an open field 

Kathy, I'm lost, I said, 
though I knew she was sleeping 
I'm empty and aching 
and I don't know why 
Counting the cars 
on the New Jersey Turnpike 
They've all gone to look for America 
All gone to look for America 
All gone to look for America
         

No comments:

Post a Comment